Editorial Team Manager Wanted
Science Borealis is looking for an energetic and enthusiastic Editorial Manager to take our Borealis Blog and Editorial Team to the next level. We’re seeking a self-motivated individual with strong management skills, innovative ideas for increasing our reach and engagement, and the ability to make those ideas reality.
This is a volunteer position. But because it carries more responsibility and a greater commitment than our other positions, we have budgeted a $300/month remuneration for this.
This is a primarily a managerial position. To catch our attention you must convince us that you can manage a busy remote team of 30 writers and editors on a daily basis. This includes responding promptly to email, keeping track of changing schedules and deadlines, managing volunteer issues and recruitment, and regularly checking into our Slack channel to take part in or lead discussions.
As Editorial Manager, you will manage the day-to-day operations of the Borealis Blog, providing overarching advice and support to the Editorial Team to maintain the editorial quality and standards of the Borealis Blog.
With the help of the Team Coordinator and Blog Editors, you will maintain communications with the Subject Editors via regular (virtual) meetings, Slack, Dropbox, email, and/or any other approaches that effectively keep the team engaged.
Together with our Outreach Team Manager, you will develop and pursue a strategy to expand the reach and scope of our Borealis Blog. You will establish an annual editorial calendar; seek new partners and guest bloggers; devise and implement blog themes and events; and find other creative ways to enhance our overall engagement with the Canadian and international science communication communities.
As this is a leadership role, you will be an integral member of the Science Borealis team, reporting to and receiving support from the Science Borealis Core Team. You will keep the organization apprised of Editorial activities, make recommendations as to how these can be enhanced, and provide editorial support for our broader initiatives.
Minimum 1 year committment
Between 5 and 7 hours per week distributed roughly as follows:
- Day-to-day team & blog management: 4-5 hours a week
- Long-range planning and development: 1-2 hours per week
- Meetings & other occasional duties: 2 hours a month
Schedule: Must be available to check in and respond to the team ~ 5 days per week.
This is a remote position. However, because the team is located primarily in Canada, time-zone is a consideration.
This is a fixed price contract position. Science Borealis has a monthly budget of $300 available for this role. Payment will begin after a one-month trial period. Applicants must be legally permitted to work in Canada.
- Applicants must have a schedule that will comfortably accommodate checking in and responding to the team on a near-daily basis.
- Applicants must demonstrate experience managing teams and/or online communities.
- Working with the Blog Editors and the Team Coordinator to manage the day-to-day operations of the Editorial Team. Includes responding to emails, supporting Editors, monitoring workflow, and keeping the blog running smoothly.
- Working with the Science Borealis Core Team to develop a long range strategy for the blog
- Researching and developing blog partners, guest bloggers, blog themes and activities.
- Building and maintaining a sense of community within the Editorial Team through regular communications.
- Acting as a mentor and finding ways to bring out the best in our bloggers and help them develop their scicomm skills.
- Recruiting, assessing and training new team members as necessary
- Reporting to the Core Team and to the Board of Directors upon request.
- High level of organization and time management skills; able to manage & track daily workflow, special projects
- The ability to respond to and manage the needs of a large remote team
- Strong communications, writing, editing skills.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong ability to work independently; self motivated
- The ability to formulate, research, and implement long-range strategy.
- The ability to work with a large team with diverse interests, styles, and availability.
- Comfort with online collaboration tools & teleconferencing
- Journalism and/or science communications training or experience
- Familiarity with science and the science communications community in Canada
- WordPress skills
PLEASE SEND YOUR CV AND COVER LETTER TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
About our Editorial Team
The Science Borealis Editorial Team consists of the Editorial Manager, a Team Coordinator, two Blog Editors, and 20-24 Subject Editors. The Subject Editors monitor our 12 subject categories blog feeds for interesting content, contribute one Borealis Blog post per cycle (approx. every 12 weeks), and take part in other initiatives as requested.
About the Borealis Blog
The Borealis Blog is the online hub for Science Borealis. The blog hosts weekly editorial posts from our subject editors, coverage of news and special events, guest posts and themed series. All posts are professionally edited by a qualified member of the Science Borealis Team.
About Science Borealis
Science Borealis is a non-profit, volunteer organization. We are an inclusive digital science salon featuring Canadians blogging about a wide array of scientific disciplines. Science Borealis aims to be a one-stop shop for the public, media, educators, and policy makers to source Canadian science.